

PTO Meeting Agenda: February 21, 2019

Groveland PTO Meeting Norms:

- ❖ Start and end on time.
- ❖ Foster an environment of respect and listening.
- ❖ Offer your opinion and welcome challenging viewpoints while assuming positive intent.
- ❖ Expect and accept non-closure.

1. Welcome and Ice breaker activity (6:00-6:05)

Thank you for coming! Please share your name and ages of children, as well as one topic you're interested in discussing.

ATTENDEES

Sarah Murphy(PTO), Karl Talcott(PTO), Heather Allison(PTO), Charlotte Hanley-Jacobson(PTO), Kerry Furtney(PTO), Talia Sheldon-Desjardins(PTO), Jen Schleuter(PTO), Diane Johnston(1st/2nd), Michelle Hyatt(1st/2nd), Becky Pederson(GPES Principal), Regan Fox(GPES Teacher), Tom Parent(SPPS Facilities Director), Doug Czaplicki, Erin Jude, David Wiegatz, Shanna & Robert Clarkson , Phil Craig, Marjorie Bequette, Hrithik Govardhan, Kathryn Wegener,

2. Vote to Approve January Meeting Minutes and Today's Meeting Agenda (6:05-6:10)

November meeting minutes are available at:

MOTIONS TO APPROVE JANUARY MINUTES:

Motioned:Erin Jude, Seconded: Heather Allison

MOTION TO APPROVE 02/21/19 PTO MEETING AGENDA

Motioned: Robert Clarkson Seconded: Doug Czaplicki

January Minutes

<https://www.spps.org/Page/35621>

3. SPPS Chief Operations Officer Jackie Turner and Facilities Director Tom Parent (6:10-6:45)

Discussion of capital improvement needs at Groveland and SPPS Facilities process. Parent questions. Please see list of concerns generated prior to meeting on the reverse side of this agenda.

LINKS TO ITEMS MENTIONED BY TOM PARENT DURING THE DISCUSSION BELOW:

1. SAINT PAUL PUBLIC SCHOOLS FMP (FACILITIES MASTER PLAN)

<https://www.spps.org/Page/3568>

2. SPPS FMP School Work Scopes

<https://www.spps.org/Page/22144>

3. GROVELAND PARK Work Scope docs

<https://www.spps.org/cms/lib/MN01910242/Centricity/Domain/6633/workscopes/3030-Groveland%20Park%20Elementary.pdf>

4. FMP 5-YEAR IMPLEMENTATION PLAN

https://www.spps.org/cms/lib/MN01910242/Centricity/Domain/13146/5YP-FY2019-23_FINAL-10_23_18.pdf

Sarah: We'd love to have great curb appeal, have the building looking its' best, have repairs made so that our best foot is forward for prospective parents, students. The 100 year anniversary is just around the corner, and we'd like to see where our building is in the grand scheme of things.

Tom Parent: We're short-term stewards of these 1,000,000 square ft. that turn 100 in the next year, so many challenges. We appreciate the list and look forward to working with you and your comments.

The facilities Master Plan-

What does it mean to be a functioning school & district in the 21st c.? How are things different than when these facilities were built?

We're on a cycle, smaller increments were the easiest, and affordable. The FMP is a rolling 5-yr. Plan, and looking at it we can see that Groveland is in the "smaller" (repair?) category.

How are things looking? Cones on the stairs out front may not look like it's that great, (1 doz. Work orders for those in the past 5 years) but we are hoping to see a number of list items taken care of during the summer months.

We'd like to explore ways to do a better job of managing sites that are used by the school and rec, etc.

We're concerned about the roof (gym), can we get the city (their jurisdiction) to let us help out.

What are the things that you'd all love to see happen here?

David: A Q about how are decisions are made, and when juxtaposed against what we heard from the Placement Office (Jackie), is there a way that those decisions are made that can more positively impact us?

Tom: A group looked at how to effectively stratify and prioritize projects district-wide; Alignment. Physical changes are impacted by need ...

Marj: What about accessibility? We're a stair-heavy building, we'd like to stay accessible, especially compared to the remodeled schools.

Tom: Here that would involve a significant revamp of the design, with no easy technical solution. We'd need a wholesale re-imagining.

Marj: Is there a way to move up the list? Not just as pertains to the repair, but a whole replacement/redesign.

Tom: No way to promise that, but the challenge is a good one, that we could look at it differently.

Becky: We did have a plan for a new entrance, and met with a whole group of schools, and got to envision what GPES needed, and the architects were able to put it into drawings, and the entrance was number one on our list-

Tom: I'll share a link to those diagrams.

Jen: So why didn't this happen?

Tom: Back to the answer that our wants exceed our need-

Erin: Curious about addressing school safety issues, with design, how much, how little, how does the FMP fit into that discussion?

Tom: Our team looks at the physical structures and there's another team that looks at safety and security issues. We're very concerned with quality of learning space. What are the smart things we can do to make our buildings secure without turning them into penitentiaries?

Erin: A lot of space before coming to a person here

Tom: Many of our buildings have a real challenge with that.

Charlotte: What types of things were

Tom; Plans include Security cams, Instructionally "tech ready", building automation systems, exterior lighting, behind the scenes stuff as well.

Doug: How does the city tie in?

Tom: There's a conversation between us and the city as to the multi-use facilities, work on things like athletics and how do later schedules impact downstream. Everyone has to look at how to prioritize the working capital budgets.

Doug: Computer lab space? Maker space?

Tom: We've had more interest in adding that from a programmatic aspect for the school. We do partnerships with schools to add to their facility use and put \$ towards ideas that are program driven.

Becky: We now have some classroom space, so we could look at doing something with adding some type of maker space

David: I think we could do this, there is interest in pushing that forward.

Shauna: We definitely want a 3 - 4 next year

Heather: Also in favor

Jen: Also in favor

General agreement around the room...

Marj: Can we call Placement now to indicate our intention to keep that ½ class and ADD to it?

Becky: I can voice it, hopefully they'll listen.

Sarah: Becky, can you let the 3 - 4 teachers know that there is broad support for this idea?

Kathryn: Maintaining the integrity and distinctiveness of our building moving forward is important.

Tom: To the specifics of historic preservation, we have no actual buildings in the Historical Register, but we are looking at developing a list of the “how” and putting context to those spaces that may really need prioritized preservation dollars. We want to have a formal and informal process and giving the City’s Preservation Commission something to work with.

Sarah: How about having a particular tie-in to the 100-year Anniversary, and use it as an opportunity to push forward physical plant projects.

Sarah: School safety and pedestrian safety?

Tom: There is a group who is looking at all of the ways that the various departments work on that - I’ll send an email re: their efforts.

4. Groveland Multi-Age Classrooms - Ms. Johnston and Ms. Hyatt (6:45-7:00)

An opportunity for parents to provide feedback and ask questions with 1st/2nd grade teachers about experiences with multi-age classrooms this year.

Sarah: How does it seem to be going? We’re looking to hear from the teachers who do it as to how it’s impacting us as a community.

-Intermingling is going very positively, we’d like to hear how the public is viewing it.

Jen: My 1st grader is loving it, he is trying to keep up with the older kids..

Erin: (Same sentiment..) Our Montessori experience had sold us on the multi-age environment

Hrithik: How do the older kids fare? View it?

Hyatt: They show real leadership qualities and mentoring comes out,

Johnston: The older kids also get reinforcement and strive to do a broader job on familiar tasks/lessons

Heather: Is there a plan to continue these classrooms moving forward?

Last year was "opt-in", and now it's moving forward...

3 teachers that have done it are strong advocates, it's best for the school and for the kids; we have great flexibility and can be more in charge of our enrollment.

Becky: One big thing is the buy-in from everyone involved (parents, teachers, kids love it). May not be able to configure the upper grades as easily right away. A social aspect has been that the lunches were able to be kept together.

Doug: So can we move it forward? Does there need to be re-tweaking of certain subjects?

Becky: Some concerns in the math area, as things start to get more advanced, teachers have a challenge trying to plan, although we've had a 3 - 4 before...

Hyatt: We've had to work together a lot to make it work, it's not as easy without as much support staff, but nice to see the kids working together.

Sarah: All of the teachers are so amazing and I knew that it would work.

Becky: 5th grade would be tougher, as they have the Widji trip and other middle school prep ideas they're always working on, so some separation would occur.

Marj: If this were to be an option for next year, the planning would have to start soon, as it obviously takes a lot of lead time.

Hyatt: The teachers engaged in this here have been willing to work with a group and prevent someone from ending up on an island.

Becky: We're just on the verge of knowing the numbers for next year, so it may depend on that to a large extent.

Hrithik: What was prior year feedback for a 3 - 4 group?

Becky: Math was where we had the most challenges, reading took care of itself.

Charlotte: How does it seem that the 3rd and 4th are viewing it?

Hyatt: They seem interested, curious

Upcoming is a ½ a class in limbo...

Doug: Should we bring it up next month?

Shanna: We definitely want a 3 - 4 next year

Heather: Also in favor

Jen: Also in favor

General agreement around the room...

Marj: Can we call Placement now to indicate our intention to keep that ½ class and ADD to it?

Becky: I can voice it, hopefully they'll listen.

Sarah: Becky, can you let the 3 - 4 teachers know that there is broad support for this idea?

Becky: Yes

5. Past and Upcoming PTO Events (7:05-7:10)

- A. PTO Ice Skating Party at Groveland rink- Friday, February 8th : 100 people turned out
- B. National African American Parent Involvement Day - Monday, February 11th : Good reports all around-
- C. APEX Fun Run : (Jen) Biggest fundraiser of the year, Pep rally on Feb 25th, pledges collected, leadership workshops and motivational speaking from the leaders, **STILL NEED VOLUNTEERS**
- D. Upcoming PTO Meeting topics: March 14, Discussion of pedestrian safety near the school : **Presentation**
- E. Parent Social Event- Coming Soon-- **March 15th St. Paul Tap; April 12th: Memory Lanes Bowling event**
- F. Scholastic Book Fair in the Library: March 19, 20, 21 :

6. Fundraising Chairs Report - Heather Allison, Charlotte Hanley-Jacobson, Jen Schlueter (7:10-7:15)

- A. Direct Drive :
- B. Carnival update : Meeting coming up Mar. 6th, looking for prizes, stuffed animals, party favors, gently used small prizes, a box for donations by Michelle's desk; we may have a lead on some live music
- C. Apex Fun Run fundraiser and leadership lessons February 25-March 8 -
Mark your calendars for the run on Friday, March 8th!
Volunteers needed! Sign up available here: <http://signup.com/go/iBqBoOC>
:

7. Principal's Report - Ms. Pedersen (7:15-7:20)

Reminder: Priority deadline is Feb. 28th - Please let anyone know if they'd like to send their kids here-

8. Follow-up from January PTO Meeting

We would like to gather a small group of parents to meet with Community Ed Director Shaun Walsh to follow up about programming at Groveland. Please let Sarah know if you'd like to be involved.

Anyone who'd like to be part of a small group to work with Shaun and sharing ideas for better Comm. Ed. involvement.

9. Parent Comments - This is an open time to share ideas or questions. May follow up at the next meeting. (7:20-7:30)

:

10. Motion to Adjourn meeting, vote to adjourn meeting

MOTIONED: Marj , SECONDED: Hrithik

Please join us for the next PTO Meeting on Thursday, March 14th, 6-7:30

List of Groveland Building concerns generated prior to meeting

1. Front steps to school are crumbling
2. Front lawn grading/drainage (area becomes very icy/muddy/deep puddles)
3. Air conditioning/fans (Chelsea Heights had something installed that we heard had helped? 3rd floor especially is very hot in warmer months)
4. Outdoor lighting (there are very small lights at the front of the building and it feels dark/not safe approaching for evening events)
5. Screen/speaker system for gym for assemblies [Another speaker ordered, as the current one is](#)
6. A/V tech in classrooms is inconsistent

7. Bathrooms (concerns- children can't operate paper towel dispensers, more stalls perhaps?, supervision difficult because girls and boys restrooms are at opposite ends of building, sink in hallway for better visibility/supervision?)
8. Water fountains with bottle fillers would be great. Fountains are very low-flow.

Please email Groveland.pto.pres@gmail.com for more information about volunteering!

Questions and suggestions are always welcome. Please contact PTO leadership--we'd love to hear from you!

Sarah Murphy, President groveland.pto.pres@gmail.com

Karl Talcott, Vice President groveland.pto.vicepres@gmail.com

Kerry Furtney and Talia Sheldon-Desjardins, Treasurers groveland.pto.treasurer@gmail.com

Heather Allison, Charlotte Hanley-Jacobson, and Jen Schlueter, Fundraising Chairs

groveland.pto.fundraising@gmail.com