

UNADOPTED MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING
 CITIZENS BOND OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE MEETING
 HACIENDA LA PUENTE UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
 DECEMBER 8, 2021

The Regular Citizens Bond Oversight Committee Meeting on December 8, 2021, was called to order by Leticia Covarrubias, Committee Chair at 6:34 pm, In Person/ZOOM meeting of the District Administration building located at 15959 East Gale Avenue, Hacienda Heights, California 91745.

Members present were: Leticia Covarrubias, Olivia Roberts, Adria Ybarra, Reina Schmitz, Louis Perez, Gabriela Navar, Philip Kraft, Charlie Klinakis

Members late were:

Members absent were: Neal Noborio

Manoj introduced Brandon Waldren from EideBailly who is doing the Forensic Audit. Mr. Waldren introduced himself as the Senior Manager. Extends a welcome invitation from all members of CBOC to schedule an interview with himself if they choose to do so. Mr. Waldren also noted that the CBOC website is full of in depth information and he thanks the committee for their continued efforts.

Item No. 1	<p><u>AGENDA REVIEW AND RE-ORDER</u></p> <p>Moved by Charlie Klinakis and seconded by Louis Perez for Agenda review and reorder.</p> <p>8 yes 0 No 0 Abstain</p> <p>Review and Re-order <u>None</u></p>
Item No. 2	<p>Request to speak to agenda (Non-Agenda) Items</p> <p><u>None</u></p>
Item No. 3	<p>Moved by Philip Kraft and seconded by Louis Perez for Approval of minutes from previous meeting – October 6, 2021</p> <p>8 yes 0 No 0 Abstain</p> <p>Review and Change <u>None</u></p>
Item No. 4	<p><u>BOND COUNSEL</u></p> <p>A. Legislative Code Clarification B. Teacher Salaries</p>

Leticia: We have Mr. Becker. Legislative Code Clarification. Please proceed.

Arto Becker: Good evening. I'll leave the mask on, if it becomes difficult to hear me, please say so. My name is Arto Becker. It's a pleasure to be here this evening. I'm a partner at Hawkins Delafield and Wood. We serve as Bond Counsel for the District. Whether its General Obligation Financings and it's Lease Financings. Thank you for the opportunity to work with the District. The committee had asked me to discuss with you 2 matters. The first is whether the Bond proceeds may be used to pay for teachers moving costs that are incurred in connection with the construction projects financed with General Obligation Bond proceeds. Article 13a of the State Constitution prohibits the expenditure of General Obligation Bond proceeds on teachers' salaries. Specifically section 1B3a of Article 13a provides that, and I'm quoting, "Proceeds from the sale of the bonds be used only for the purposes specified in Article 13a Section 1B3. And not for any other purpose including teachers' salaries and other school operating expenses. I understand that these moving costs will be considered capital expenditures because they relate to the project being funded with bond proceeds. Still, there is no clear authority on point. I'm cautious about this matter because the specific prohibition on paying for teachers' salaries. While these costs may not be considered a salary under all statutes and regulations, I interpret the phrase "Teachers' salaries" broadly, based upon the intent to prohibit the use of General Obligation Bond proceeds on teachers' salaries. The committee also had asked me to review the impact on the committee's existence, if it's membership is less than 7 members. Education code 15282a provides that, "The citizens' oversight committee shall consist of at least seven members". The oversight committee's bylaws provides the 7 members on the committee. It appears that for the committee to be properly constituted, it must have at least 7 members. However, there are several countervailing considerations. Per Section 5.6 of the bylaws, does not provide that the committee may not act if there are less than 7 members. Second, the purpose of this statute would be facilitated if the committee would continue its functions. Particularly in providing the annual audit. Also, I observed that when Section 15282a was last amended, amended to provide for additional terms for committee members, it was noted that the State Board of Education provides waivers to allow oversight committee members to serve an additional term beyond the statutory limit. District may consider seeking a waiver to maintain less than 7 members on the committee. Further, it may be possible to receive a waiver from the State Board of Education regarding the membership of the committee if it has less than 7 members. But I am unclear if such a request has ever been made or granted in the past. That concludes my prepared remarks.

Leticia: Thank you very much, do you have any questions?

Philip: I do have a couple of questions, if that's okay.

Leticia: Yes.

Philip: First, thank you Mr. Becker. I really appreciate you being here. First question that I have is more foundational. Who is your client? Is the Client the District?

Arto Becker: Yes.

Philip: So you're advising the District that you've been assigned to speak to us as the CBOC. Correct?

Arto Becker: Correct. I am not providing legal advice to the committee. Thanks for helping me clarify that. I am here to discuss with you the observations that I've made during the course of my practices as Bond Counsel. As Bond Counsel, we give opinions on the validity of the legal instruments. The tax exempt status of the Bonds. The accuracy of the disclosure of accompanying the sales of the Bonds. This is more specifically in the purview of a General Counsel. Maybe the General Counsel of the Board. But I am here because I was asked to come. And to convey my impressions as you will. But I am engaged, was engaged, by the District as Bond Counsel in connection with those finances. As reflected here, from time to time, I'm called upon to answer some questions that arise in the course of administering using Bond proceeds. As you know, tax questions that pertain to the Bond that could arise in the course when administering the bond issuance.

Philip: Thank you. I just wanted to clarify that, just a quick note to the rest of the committee. I wanted to emphasize that we do have a right to, if we need to, if we choose as a committee to request that the District appoints separate Counsel on our behalf, should we as a committee, see that fit. So I just want to make sure we know that in terms of the fiduciary duty that is owed by Mr. Becker. That is to the District. Should we want somebody to advise us specifically, we can make that request. But I do appreciate you being here and making that analysis of both the teachers' salaries and the legislative code. So as far as the issue of the teachers' salaries, just to kind of get down to best hacks is, your opinion that the payments that are for moving expenses to the teachers, in your opinion, are or can be considered teachers' salaries under the California Constitution and the other Codes and Sections you cited?

Arto Becker: I am not sure I heard carefully. I'm cautious here. And so I'm inclined to say no, it's not available. The Bond proceeds are not available for the costs in the example that I understand, which is, you're moving your room from here to there.

Leticia: Mr. Becker, can you please speak into the speaker please?

Arto Becker: I'm sorry. I get so excited. I want to talk directly to the gentleman who is asking the question. I think it's a close question. And I just think because the intent as I understand was very strong to prohibit teachers' salaries, that those kind of expenses should not be paid for General Obligation Bond proceeds. I appreciate that other Counsels have different views on that. That's my view.

Philip: Thank you. I just want to make sure we as a committee are cognizant of that. And as these budgets come forward that those line items for teachers' salaries is hopefully removed from the Bond and are paid by other District funds and not out of the Bond, per Counsel's opinion. And we can discuss that of course when we get into the budgetary issues. The second question I had, as it relates to the Legislative code. The 2 issues I see it first is the number of members on the committee. Second is the duration of the terms. We have 6 of our members who are less than a year from their expiration of their 6 year term, which will leave us with 3 on the committee, if our 6 of those leave. I know will be discussed in more detail later, but the California's Association of Bond Oversight's Committee, this specific issue was brought up and I want to pass this along to the District. A waiver of the term exception, should the committee member wish to stay on beyond that third term, those waivers, if that is sent to the State Board of Education, and a specific term that was used during a recent conference was they will be rubber stamped if they are made. But that has to come from the Board through the ropes. And hopefully the District, should this committee wish it, hopefully the District can govern the Board and have the Board make that request of the State Board of Education, to the extent if somebody wishes to stay beyond those 6 years. Do you have a different understanding of that?

Arto Becker: I agree with you. In fact, as I noted when the law was last amended, amended to extend from 2 to 3 maximum term. They have been fielding and granting a lot of requests for extensions.

Philip: Especially in light of the pandemic.

Arto Becker: Of course this was awhile ago when this was 2012 or 2014 when the Statute was last amended. The Legislative history refers to the frequent requests and the ability. And the fact that the Board of Ed gave those extensions. In some ways, the extensions in the law was memorialized in what has been happening routinely. And so one supposes it be more than, like you said be willing to be approving extensions. I thought a more troublesome problem was a lack of interest, candidly of people staying on the Board and what you do when there is less than, is now what you are presently facing, 7. That too might be of interest. As I mentioned the State Board, they may be willing to consider clarifying that. As I mentioned in my remarks, I think you can continue to act, so long as the Board is continuing to try replace, so in good faith. It would not achieve any purpose by declaring the Board inoperative. I believe for all public purposes intended to the committee's actions. In that regard, the lack of clarity on that doesn't exist, argues for me, in favor of, doing this is the best we can do, probably continuing acting, as you do.

Philip: I know there are different opinions on that particular issue. Can I ask a question? It's more of a procedural maybe brown act question. A request to the Board, from CBOC to the Board, to make that request to the California State Board of Education. Is that something that needs to be done as part of an agenda item or can the committee reach a consensus today to make that request of the District of the Board to request that the State Board of Education grant that waiver?

	<p>Arto Becker: You're asking me that?</p> <p>Philip: You or staff. If staff has that answer.</p> <p>Arto Becker: I don't have an answer to that. I don't want to get coy. I'm not an expert in the Brown Act. I don't know the answer to that.</p> <p>Olivia: I do have the answer. Philip and I both attended the same, very interesting excellent conference. This is a handout that Lelia did. This is my report on that conference. Clearly, they told us during the conference, that as long as we ask the School Board three months before the expiration of any of our terms, they go to the Board of Education, State Board of Education and it gets rubber stamped, yes. The other clarification I wanted to make is that should we want our own Counsel, the School Board does not appoint that Counsel, we find our own Counsel, we accept them, and the District has to pay for it.</p> <p>Philip: Thank you for that clarification. I do agree. Can we as a committee reach that consensus today or see if we have that consensus today to make that request to the School Board. I don't want to get into a position where, yes, it's 9-10 months away in that expiration. But, I don't want to be running against a deadline and not have it hit the Board's agenda in a timely fashion.</p> <p>Leticia: Ms. Schmitz?</p> <p>Reina: With everything that we have gone through for the last 2 years of the school, lockouts, and online classes, and everything else opened. I think its best to utilize the time we have to make that request for those of us who choose to continue, can. And rather than sooner, rather than later. So, I appreciate the 2nd request you made, because this is the 2nd request you made. You made it last time. And I am totally in support of that.</p> <p>Leticia: To answer your question, we do have an agenda item, CBOC recruitment, when we vote on that agenda item. It's for discussion. We can't take action, but we can have a consensus during that agenda item, so that we can provide direction to the Board.</p> <p>Philip: Fantastic. Thank you very much.</p> <p>Leticia: You're welcome. Thank you. Any other questions?</p>
Item No. 5	<p><u>BOND EXPENDITURES</u></p> <p>B. Expenditure Reports</p> <p>Earl: Thank you Mr. Becker. Appreciate it. Bond expenditures you all have the summary. And I believe you all have been given the normal detailed expenditures as well. It's also available online. We can see at this point we are up to total expenditures and committed amounts \$46,687,379.35. That does include the teachers' salaries. Now that, that has been addressed by Mr. Becker, we will discuss plans for that after this meeting. Joel just</p>

pointed out to me that the amount for teachers' salaries right now is about \$14K. So, we will take a look at that. Concerning those reports, are there any questions?

Philip: So does this include anything new from what the Board recently authorized at the recent meetings as of December 1st? Like does this include the contract for Newton Middle School temporary housing, for example?

Earl: Let me take a quick look. I don't know off the top of my head. It would be hard to say for certain, sometimes things were a little off as far as when they were approved, when they came through when they were expensed. Most likely it would be in the committed amounts, but I don't know if they would be expended yet.

Philip: If I could make a more of a request, and if this is possible for future meetings. Would it be possible to see, for example, the next meeting in February, let's assume it's expenditures as of February 1, 2022. That we see this one and the next one we can actually see the change over time?

Earl: That should be an easy request to fulfill. Would you want them, so you are saying that you would like them side by side on the same spreadsheet with a net change effect?

Philip: Yeah. See the delta between them. Because my question would be easily answered if we see Site Work and Construction went from \$20 million to \$22 million. Okay there is our change.

Earl: We can do that. Not a problem. Tracking down the \$2 million could still require some digging to see where it actually corresponds to. But, yeah we can put that on there.

Philip: It will at least give us a little more context for this particular overview.

Earl: Sure. We'll amend it and we will have one column with, as of the prior meeting, and then as of up to the most current date we can get them to before we need to get our documents submitted. And with the delta.

Joel: To answer your question though, I am 95% sure that this particular slide does not include the new interim housing. We are in the remittance of processing that now.

Philip: I think they are closing the parking lot today to get that in.

Leticia: Are there any other questions regarding the bond expenditures and committed report?

Philip: Did we talk about the alternate funding options yet for interim housing? Did we get 5a?

Leticia: No we haven't. If we are done with the questions with the expenditures and committed, let's move on to item A Interim housing and funding options.

A. Interim Housing (alt. funding options)

Manoj: As of this time, we are still looking at some of the interim that we were planning usually. For example, in the phase 1 schools, we had interim housing planned for Newton and other some of the school sites. But there are some evaluations that we are doing. Just as we are analyzing the next phase of the bond, if we really need the interim housing. I'm really not looking at, because we have surplus rooms at schools at other sites and I'm discussing with the Board, instead of the interim housing that we are spending significant dollars on, if we can move some of the kids from the impacted schools to the other schools. For example, in the Newton case, we have some surplus classrooms at Los Altos Elementary schools, which was a possibility if we had planned earlier. But this was not planned and interim housing was already planned for Newton. This could have significant savings if we were/was able to move students to nearby schools. That is being planned at this point of time. We really don't have an option for alternate funding for interim housing. The bigger question that I'm looking into for phase 3 and 4, is if we need interim housing at all.

Philip: To clarify, as of right now, the 3 remaining 3 schools, its as is because some plans have already been made and haven't analyzed the alternatives. But for moving forward, you'll analyze those alternatives to see if there could be cost savings and to see if the Board wants to move into that direction.

Manoj: That's correct. The main reason is I don't want to, the District as a whole doesn't want to go back to DSA and reapply for the plans because the interim housing plans have already been approved by DSA. So going back to DSA delays the project, it could save some dollars, but the cost savings that we will generate will be offset by the cost escalation of the construction if we delay the process.

Philip: Thank you.

Leticia: Are there any other questions? Ms. Schmitz.

Reina: On this report that you just showed. I'm hoping I'm looking at the right one. You have sections. This is a current one right? As of December 1st? You also have a breakdown by different sections, but it's not included? Okay sounds good. It is in a different section.

Earl: It is. Those are available online to anyone who would like to look at them, work with them, sort with them, do whatever they want, check it out.

Reina: We used to be able to see the comparison in the past. So we will still be able to see that right? You have the detail here.

Earl: Now when you say the comparison to the past are you referring to the same thing.

Reina: The current expenditures by schools.

Earl: In relation to what? In what was already been reported?

Reina: Yes.

Earl: That's what Philip was asking for. We'll put that on the report.

Reina: Are we going to be able to see the comparison?

Earl: Yes.

Reina: Thank you. Thank you for clarifying.

Earl: Sure.

Charlie: Clarify that also, a little while ago you said, correct me if I'm wrong, what you're going to do is, you are going to take the overall view and hypothetically at the end of the day, we spent \$46 million and change the date, you're going to have another one next to it, might show what spent previously, which was \$45 million, and grant it that these numbers in between are going to change too. You're not going to zero in on what the expenditures were before, we still need to go to this report to figure out the difference. Correct?

Earl: Right. On this high level, birds eye view report. It will just be the total numbers. The overview, the delta of categories, and total.

Charlie: Just want to clarify that because I don't want someone to think that they are going to be able and look at this and see where the expenditure went to, what school, what particular on what they bought.

Philip: It will certainly help us zero in on the things that changed if we want to look and do a deeper dive.

Manoj: Thank you Mr. Klinakis. On the summary we will show the prior expenditure total and the current expenditure total. And on the detail we will have the detailed expenditures for the current expenditures. That way, you can drill down and find out where those expenditures went.

Philip: If I could quickly raise up a quick point of order, apparently Ms. Navar been in the zoom for about 30 minutes and she says she can't hear anything. She says she's in the room with Lelia.

Manoj: Let's look into that.

Philip: Ok. Thank you.

Manoj: Thank you.

	<p>Philip: I apologize for going off topic. It's important to make sure that all of our members can hear.</p>
<p>Item No. 6</p>	<p><u>BOARD BOND PRESENTATIONS</u></p> <p>A. Site Improvements (Information Only) – No print out</p> <p>Leticia: Do we have anything?</p> <p>Manoj: Mr. Duarte will go through it.</p> <p>Joel: Typically, I don't think we've gone through the whole report, but I'd be happy to do that if you like. Or if you have questions.</p> <p>Philip: This is the same report from the board meetings?</p> <p>Joel: That is correct, it is.</p> <p>Philip: I'm fine because I saw it already. But if there is anybody else, I wouldn't preclude them.</p> <p>Leticia: Does anyone have any questions? No questions.</p> <p>Philip: There's nothing here yet about the restarts yet right?</p> <p>Manoj: No, there's nothing. Because we're just looking at the remainder 3 of the schools for phase 1 and 2. These are some of the other projects that we have been completing and we are bringing it to the Board.</p> <p>B. Presentation from Cumming on Timeline – Sites and Progress</p> <p>Joel: This again also is the report given at the Board meetings. Again I'd be happy to go through it if the committee would so wish.</p> <p>Philip: I would like to see the timeline. I know watching the board meeting on zoom was really hard to see the timelines. How small it looks as it gets transmitted.</p> <p>Manoj: We will go over this quickly.</p> <p>Philip: Yes. I don't need to see any detail. Does this include the master timeline?</p> <p>Manoj: Yes it does.</p> <p>Joel: Cedarlane Academy is just about 100% complete. Recently there was, we did come upon a couple other issues that the contractor is working out. We expect those to be done in the next few weeks. Obviously, there are some of the other closeout processes and the final DSA certification. Next slide. This is a higher level view of Cedarlane Academy. Next slide. Pictures of some of the final completed rooms. Nearly complete. It's</p>

complete in terms of what we had the construction folks do. In these particular rooms still has a little work yet to be done internally through our NCS staff. Our NCS staff is mounting the tv, the touchscreen monitor, and some of the other technology pieces that we are taking care of internally. So you can see that this room is substantially done, but a few minor odds and ins stuff that needs to be done by staff. Next slide. This is the band room again at Cedarlane. Next slide. This particular, I'm trying to think when the report was done. So this is showing that the Newton interim housing, as Mr. Kraft has mentioned, we're starting that now. We had the architect and some of his engineers out doing some work in the parking lot this afternoon. The Notice to Proceed for the actual construction was issued with the date of Monday the 13th. We expect to be underway with the installation of those interim houses very very soon. Next slide. There you will see, and I know it's very difficult to see some of the timeline projections for the 3 remaining schools in phases 1 and 2. Kind of the easiest is to look at the top end date. We are looking at about early mid May 2023 for those last 3 21st century school sites.

Philip: Are these schedules independent in one another? Are those crossovers on contractors? If we're delayed on one project it's going to spillover to the other?

Joel: The first 5 school sites we did them in 2 separate bid packages. We can cluster these 3 school sites the same way. If for some reason, it seems like that dong that would not benefit us, we necessarily don't have to do that. They're not inter related in that row. The contractor working at one school site necessarily affects work being done at another school site, but it would be affected on how we package the bids and bid them all out as one bid or multiple bid packages. If that makes sense. Next slide.

Reina: Question on that. Can you go back?

Joel: Sure.

Reina: On the work that you're saying the projected time to start and to finish and the steps, this is simultaneous work on those 3 schools?

Joel: Yes. Those are our projections. Let me also say this. And it probably needs a little bit of clarification. We may be a little bit behind on some of these. And the reason being is some of the input that we received from the Board and some of the other stakeholders, we're kind of re-looking at some of those items. The storage, the tackboard, and some of those other factors. We are kind of looking at that again. We might need to slightly modify the plans. We may have to do that. We may choose to do that in order to give our stakeholders what they are asking for, what they want, which may delay things slightly. But for the most part that's the overall broad timeline.

Reina: On Grandview. On the last project. The double lines. What does that mean? You have double lines on the bottom four.

Joel: I would have to zoom.

Reina: I can see a double line here.

Philip: It looks like they are doubling up and doing 2 sets at the same time.

Reina: Is it 2 projects at the same time?

Manoj: Typically when you see a double line...

Reina: The blue lines.

Manoj: The blue lines that means infinite work going on at the same time.

Reina: They are, so that's what it means.

Manoj: Yes.

Reina: Ok. Thank you.

Manoj: It could be that the electrical may continue along with the flooring, for example, these two are independent of each other.

Reina: Okay. Thank you.

Philip: It is really good to see these projects moving forward. I know listening to the Board, the Board is very happy to get these things going.

Manoj: Thank you.

Leticia: Is there any way to put this timeline on the website so its larger, so we can see this?

Philip: Maybe a breakdown on by schools. This way the public can go and say, "Hey my son goes to Grandview", can I click on the current schedule for Grandview?

Manoj: We will look into that. This comes from the Cumming's P3 software, which is the project management's software, which is a GANS chart. We'll look into that and see if we can provide where they can expand and drill down.

Philip: Or maybe even, and I'll keep using Grandview as an example, that could theoretically be printed to PDF just that schedule and given to the Principal to distribute as he/she sees fit in their email blasts to their stakeholders.

Manoj: Absolutely.

Leticia: Thank you. Any other questions?

C. Upcoming Bond Agenda Items to Board (Other than PO Expenses)

Leticia: Is there anything to report?

Manoj: At this point, there is nothing to report on this item.

Leticia: Thank you.

Philip: Would it be possible.... I know I've been attending the Board meetings and observing all the board meetings, reviewing the agenda items. When there is an Administrative Agenda item, call for action, is there a way that me as a CBOC can be notified, "hey, 7.01.d is going to be discussing the bond." So, other members of this committee could know and perhaps call and dial in?

Manoj: Certainly.

Leticia: I think Lelia did that for us. We did provide her direction and she is sending out an email, right Lelia? We send out an email? Yes. Notifying us. So, yes, Mr. Kraft.

Philip: Fantastic. Thank you.

Leticia: You're welcome.

Joel: If you allow me to just real quick add on to that. The bond PO report does go out and typically there are always items, bond expenditure items, on the PO report, which go on just about every board meeting.

Philip: I think what I'm asking about is not necessarily the approval of expenditures, because that is, you're right, that is on every single meeting. But it's the award of interim housing costs contract. Or they are going to award a contract to a new contractor. It's those type of action items that are run offs if you will.

Manoj: We will provide the major milestones information to the CBOC committee.

Charlie: Also, I'd like to on that line item we are talking about, is it normally on the consent calendar when it goes before the School Board?

Manoj: The expenditures report, yes.

Charlie: There's really no discussion really from the School Board, unless they pull the item.

Manoj: That's correct. For the question that Mr. Kraft had, if its going out to bid, that's an action item. There's a discussion on that. That's not a consent item.

Charlie: Okay.

	<p>Philip: Charlie, just so you know I can't remember the last board meeting where one member did not pull that particular consent item to discuss. It's discussed with every single one because the bond is a hot issue.</p> <p>Leticia: Thank you. Moving onto the next item.</p>
Item No. 7	<p><u>UP TO DATE PROGRESS</u></p> <p>A. School Sites</p> <p>Leticia: Do we have an update on school sites?</p> <p>Manoj: Other than what Mr. Duarte kind of mentioned. We are still working on the bid, the bid package. Mr. Duarte?</p> <p>Joel: Yes. That is correct. We are substantially complete with the packages for the 3 remaining sites. However, we are re-looking at that through the lines of recent input we got from the Board, the Principals, the teachers, and some of the other stakeholders. We are going to take that information and finalize those packages and send those last 3 schools out to bid in conjunction, as we stated, while we are working on the new interim housing. And that is moving forward.</p> <p>Philip: So we have these 3 school sites that we already discussed, those are that's happening. The next phase, the next batch of schools, that's in the planning phase still?</p> <p>Manoj: There is no direction at this point from the Board. But internally we are working on some of the budgets and the numbers. Kind of trying to phase out some of the phases of phase 3 and 4 that was initially planned.</p> <p>Philip: Thank you. On the side, I just want to thank District staff for the special board meeting. Even though you were interrupted by a power outage. That was extremely illuminating.</p> <p>Reina: Question. What are the 3 schools?</p> <p>Joel: Grandview, Newton and Sparks.</p> <p>Reina: The ones that you just went through?</p> <p>Joel: Yes.</p> <p>Reina: Is Workman in?</p> <p>Joel: Workman Elementary?</p> <p>Reina: Workman High School.</p> <p>Joel: Workman is not in phases 1, 2, 3, or 4.</p>

Reina: Really.

Joel: Workman was originally planned, though the Board hasn't voted on it, but its planned to be in phase 5 with the other high schools.

Manoj: So the initial planning, although this has not been approved by the Board, we still have all the high schools combined in phase 5. And that will be a major project.

Reina: So after we finish with the first, basically, supposed to be 50% of the Bond, then the 2nd, that would be the 5th step, is that it?

Manoj: There are a total of 9 phases on the Bond.

Reina: Right.

Manoj: As per the plan, phase 1 and 2 are 8 schools. Out of 5 which have been completed or nearly complete. 3 are left. Once we finish the Phase 1 and 2 8 schools, the next plan is to get another 8 schools, elementary and middle schools, for phase 3 and 4. And then the next step would be phase 5 which is the high schools. And phase 6 and 7 and 8 and 9 are the remainder of the schools.

Reina: You are going to have a lot of fun doing it. Thank you.

Philip: Reina, and actually the issuance of schools sites you brought up Workman High School. I know there was an issue with it. We had a question last time. It triggered my memory as far as Workman High School not being on the list. There'd be no dollars on the spreadsheet. Was that issue remedied? Was it what we thought it was? The elementary versus high school issue?

Earl: It was fixed. It was fixed. On the detailed expenditure report, which also has budget numbers, that's online, the numbers are there now.

Philip: Workman High School has a budget now.

Earl: Yes.

Philip: Excellent.

Reina: Is it possible for us to see that?

Philip: We do have it. It's on the excel spreadsheet.

Reina: I'll check it out. Thank you.

Manoj: So again, this is just informational only with the permission of Ms. Covarrubias, Workman HS on the non bond side, we are working on a couple of projects. If you are aware, we finished the Woman Media Center upgrade. There was a donation list by Mr. Callaghan, \$100K to upgrade the Workman Media Center. That project is nearly complete. We completed the

finished flooring. When you have a chance go and visit the Workman Media Center. We installed the lighting and all of the furniture we are getting new. This coming Board meeting, Thursday, the 16th, we are presenting the Workman Athletic Sports Complex to the Board. This will include football field, the baseball field, and relocation of the tennis courts. That could be a major project and we are providing some funding options for the Board to consider. If you listen to the Board meeting, you will hear the directions the Board provides for that particular athletic complex.

Reina: Thank you very much.

Charlie: One other question. The \$70 million that you are projecting a shortfall, is that for the entire 9 phases? Or is that only to get you through?

Manoj: That's for the 9 phases. Again, that's a very hypothetical number. I really don't want... I mentioned to the Board we really don't want to get bogged down by that number because what we did was we looked at the first 5 schools in phase 1 and 2. We need a newer projection that if we did the same remodelization for the remainder of all the schools, that's the total cost. The \$210 - \$225 million. It's very unlikely that the projects that we have done at the elementary schools, the classroom remodelization, we'll be doing the same in the high schools. Because high schools are a different campus, different elements, different programs. We have to revisit the projects at the high schools and see if there are some signature projects that could give us more value for the bond funding. Rather than just upgrading the school, classrooms, and stuff like that. So that project, I just want to be cautious when we throw out that number \$210 - \$225 million. I believe that number was discussed and shared with the Board during the August meeting sometime. It's really a projection of based on the expenditure that we have incurred to date on the first 5 schools. Very unrealistic that we will be doing the same projects and there was a learning curve with the first 5 schools. For example now, the interim housing piece, which is a significant expenditure. We will definitely not be doing that kind of expenditures moving forward. We are weighing some different options and stuff like that. I would rather, like I mentioned to the Board, after we get this project going for the remainder of the 3 schools, we will come to the Board with a more realistic number and then we'll discuss the options for the high schools and other projects.

Charlie: My other concern is, I would hate to see is, what you've done in the first phases, I want to make sure that we have across the Board, do the same thing for all those schools, for the elementary schools. Because I don't want to have, or I don't want to see, that we've done things in some schools, and to save money we're not going to them in some other schools and it creates inequity and how the public looks at this. As if, why did this school get new water fountains and this school did not get brand new water fountains. It cost \$2000 a piece so we wanted to save \$5000 so we didn't put it in this school. I'm saying, whatever you did in the first phases, to me you should be doing in all of them. When we get to the high schools, I understand you haven't touched any of the high schools. It doesn't matter where they are if they treat them all the same. That is one of my concerns that to save money that they start cutting and hopefully all of these sites

gets the same flooring, gets the same water fountain, get the same acoustic ceiling, the same boards, same everything.

Manoj: That's correct. Ms. Navar has her hands up. So I'll just respond quickly to Mr. Klinakis question. We are taking the things that the teachers, and the custodians, and the administrators like in the first 5 schools. We are repeating the features that they like. And some of the features they did not like, we'll omit those features as we go along. It will not be exactly the same but it will be the best features that we have that we received appreciation from the teachers and the staff.

Charlie: We'll be able to see it eventually if something was left off on future schools. That there is a report that is going to say it was left off because the teachers at the originals schools didn't like it. So then they didn't do it at the other schools.

Manoj: That's correct. One of the elements, just for information, some of the things that we found out is we removed all the case work and cabinets from the classroom in phase 1 and 2 schools. The 5 schools that we did. The teachers did not appreciate that element because they are complaining about a lack of storage. So the decision was made that we'll leave the case work and cabinets for the remainder of the schools so the teacher can enjoy those cabinets that they already have in the schools. Those are just some of the subtle changes, but we'll bring those changes to the Board.

Charlie: And that makes sense, I appreciate it. My concern like I said, we all heard it for years, about the inequities that occur across the board. Meaning, the entire district. Now is the opportunity to make sure that everybody is represented and everyone is getting the same.

Manoj: Thank you. Ms. Navar has her hands up.

Leticia: Ms. Navar you may speak.

Gabriela: Manoj, when at the board meeting you talked about the State matching bond funds, can you update us on that? Or if there is an update on that? My concern is, and probably I was a little confused and I didn't understand it clearly. But if the State has funds available to match, we could apply for them to see if they can help us out on this Bond Measure. I'm not sure if I understood that correctly.

Manoj: So the way it works on the State matching funds, is if the District is new construction/modernization, the State usually matches those funds, if the State has funds. The way it works is the State issues State Bonds. The last time the State issued State bonds was in 2016. Those bond monies are all exhausted. There is a discussion in Sacramento that the next issuance will either be in 2022 or 2024. But the way it works is even if the State does not have funds, you have to kind of move your application to the State OPSC, which is the Office of Public School Construction. Unless you are in the line, unless you're in the queue, when the State gets the funds they basically base the funds on first come first serve. If my application is number 2 or 3 in the line, I will get an apportionment from the State fund

whenever they're issued. It's usually issued, like I said, the last time it was in 2016, there is discussion that the next Bond is 2022 or 2024. But if we do not have an application in the system already, we are too late. If we wait until 2024 when the State has funds, if we apply at that point of time we will most likely be 150–160 on the line. By the time it goes to 100-120, the State will exhaust all the funding. So we'll have to wait for the next phase. So to bring in the Consultant now, I want to have my application for Hacienda La Puente eligibility on the line. The Consultant has already started working on gathering information. They will come back to us around end of February, beginning of March 2022 and let us know how much is our eligibility. It could be anywhere from \$5 million, \$20 million, \$30 million. I do not have that number now because they have to do some groundwork and figure out our eligibility. Not only that, there are some other fundings that are not related to State Bonds, but Energy Efficiency. Those kind of fundings, plumbing, HVAC. This Consultant will also work with us to apply for this funds to go through. There is significant funding with CTE. Career Technical Institute. Those area technology options. So that funding can also be used in the high schools. At my prior District, we saved about \$14 million on CTE projects for capital funding. Does that answer your question Mr. Navar?

Gabriela: Yes. Yes it does. Thank you.

Leticia: Let's move on to the next item on the agenda, Board Direction regarding the Bond project.

B. Board Direction

Manoj: As of this time, as I mentioned earlier, the Board has basically green lighted Phase 1 and 2, the remainder 3 projects. So we will be going out to bid. Those plans have already been approved by DSA. Once we go out to bid, it will take about 2 months to open the bid, process the bids, and the project as you saw from Mr. Duarte's presentation. We're expecting to the start the project and construction work around February/March of next year.

Philip: I know this has already been mentioned. I just wanted to clarify the Board direction as it relates to these 3 remaining schools in Phase 1 and 2, is to make those modifications based on what the teacher's have requested. Like the storage issues. I think storage was the big paramount one that the Board talked about quite a bit.

Manoj: That's correct. We are taking into consideration. That's why Mr. Joel said because of those changes, we had a bid package ready, but we are modifying the bid package just to ensure that if the teacher's want the storage in the classroom, we will maintain the storage and do the rest of the walls and stuff like that.

Philip: My daughter happens to attend Newton. So I see it every single day. I've talked to the teacher's and I just have to let you know that the teacher's appear to be very happy with feeling that they are brought back into the process. So that has been communicated to me as a parent. I think it is important that you guys know that as well. It's really nice to see.

Leticia: I have a question regarding this item. At the special board meeting, the Board were provided options. Have there been any decisions on any of the considerations that they were provided with?

Manoj: Not at this time.

Leticia: A timeline that they should have come up with?

Manoj: Not at this point in time. I think before, even before we went to the Board, there were some decisions that the Board said to us to continue to move some of the technology items to take it away from the bond expenditure that was incurred. But other than that, the direction was to complete phase 1 and 2 and then come back with some budget for the entire remainder of the costs.

Leticia: And when will that be? When will District come back with a budget?

Manoj: At this point, I'm thinking it would be sometime around, I'm not too sure on the timeline, it will be somewhere around in the middle of next calendar year. June, July. We will be able to have a better picture of what we are looking at because we will have some planning decisions for Phases 3 and 4. And I'll also be working with involving the high schools to see what other significant projects that they are looking for in Phase 5.

Leticia: So we are looking at June 2022, then.

Manoj: Roughly around that time.

Leticia: Thank you. Any other questions regarding this item?

Philip: Yes, actually. I'm trying to look it up on my phone. I recall an email blast going out to stakeholders, at least to the parents. It was kind of an announcement. The Board has approved the new financing. And I know a lot of people came to me, the public were saying, "Hey, you're on the CBOC, what did the Board approve?" I didn't remember the Board approving anything, as far as, covering the financing gap. Do you know the public report I am talking about?

Manoj: Yes, I am aware. It was made by one of the reporters. One of the key features/elements that the reporter picked up was the application for matching funds. So that was the element that was thrown in on the projects. That was the persons input for the new financing option.

Philip: Okay, so the Board is exploring various options. Not that the Board has made a decision as to which option to go.

Manoj: That's right.

Philip: Okay. So the reporter said one thing, it was an incomplete statement. Thank you.

Leticia: Thank you. Let's move on to Forensic Audit.

C. Forensic Audit

Manoj: We have Mr. Brandon, as we mentioned Eide Bailly has started working. They are in the process of interviewing the employees in the District. That's a process that will take. I had a discussion with Mr. Brandon and the timeline that we are looking at is interviewing all of the employees, current employees that were involved with the bond. At some point of time getting all the documents, they are looking at 6 years worth of data right from the project 2016 all the way to date. That will take some time. The timeline is about 3 months from now when they would come back and present their report to the Board.

Leticia: So maybe March?

Manoj: That's a likely timeline.

Leticia: Thank you.

Philip: And will that report be shared with us as well.

Manoj: Absolutely.

Philip: Do you mind if I ask a question to Mr. Waldren? Or should I do that aside from here?

Manoj: It depends on the question. If it's something that can be discussed, then absolutely.

Philip: I know you had mentioned that you're doing some interviews. Is your scope of your audit, does it also include interviewing former employees.

Brandon: First I, due to legal issues, I have to ask the District, am I allowed to answer that question?

Manoj: Yes, I think you can. At this point in time, the Board has said go and do the forensic audit. I understand that there are some employees who are not with the District. I would say on behalf of Mr. Brandon here, this scope does include provide that their available. We cannot force an employee, an ex employee to come to an interview. But if they voluntary, we discussed that.

Brandon: Yes, we will be reaching out to past employees who we feel that were key people in making in decisions in regarding the bond expenditures and particularly the budgets. Obviously as Manoj has already stated, we cannot force them to talk to us. We do have every intention in reaching out requesting their help and just providing information that obviously some of the members of the District that are currently working here, may not have been privy to, or may not known about. It is our intention to definitely reach out to them.

Philip: That's when the public hearing ends. I know we've heard over the last few meetings, we had a lot of turnover. And the good folks here have been working very hard in trying to move this forward, but there is a wealth of knowledge that is no longer within the District. I just curious as a member of the public to that scope. And thank you for that.

Brandon: I'm obviously me coming here and saying I'm going to leave my cards right here. I'll probably leave after this section. But definitely, we want all of the information we can gather from anybody who has it. So that's why we definitely wanted to open it up to the CBOC and allow you guys the opportunity to talk as well. As you mentioned, you guys have been here for 6 years. Your guys' terms. Some of the terms here that are expiring have been here for 6 years. I'm sure there is a wealth of knowledge here we like to gather to help us making the determination of what happened and more importantly as I heard you discuss throughout this meeting, Phases 1 through 9, we can prevent it from happening again.

Olivia: I have 2 questions. The last meeting we asked how much the forensic audit would cost and we were given a ball park figure of about \$80K. Do we have any new information?

Manoj: No, that is the contract amount. So as thing progress as the way it works, as Mr. Waldren finds out more information on certain projects, and that's how audit works, if they feel they need more information on certain areas, then they'll come and certainly did not expect this so we need to dig more. Or if they find that those areas are not needed, then those expenditures will not be input.

Olivia: And who will be paying for the audit?

Manoj: The District general fund.

Olivia: Thank you.

Leticia: Do we have any other questions? No other questions, lets move on to the Facilities Director.

D. Facilities Director

Manoj: So we still don't have a Facilities Director. At this point, Mr. Duarte and Mr. Raymond are kind of acting Facilities Director. The good news is we are closing the application for the Facilities Director soon. We are taking and discussing with the Board and Superintendent, we are looking at 2 Facilities Director position. One for our regular operations and maintenance. And the second is the Director of Facilities for the Bond project. Because the Bond itself is such a big project that we need a dedicated person for this bond and the 2nd Facilities Director will be looking into the non bond projects sites. Personnel Commission told me that they already have some good applications on file. We'll be closing soon and hopefully we'll be able to get some applicant in, screened and be in place by February or March of 2022.

Leticia: Was that the structure that we had before? We had the 2 positions?

Manoj: We had 1 position. One was the Director for, Ms. Gabriela has her hands up, but we had one position for the regular Director of Maintenance and then one Director for Bond.

Leticia: Thank you.

Manoj: Ms. Navar has her hands up.

Leticia: Gabriela, go ahead and speak.

Gabriela: You mentioned hiring 2 Facilities Directors. One for the Bond. But correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we contract with a Construction Management company to kind of help with all those bond projects since there wasn't a Facilities Director? So is the money kind of being double dipped, sort of say, we're going to have a management company and a Director?

Manoj: You are right. The Bond management company, Cummings, is kind of day to day bond management. But if my understanding is correct, the earlier Bond Director had a crew with him/her who managed the day to day projects. We're not going to manage that side of the house. This Bond Director would primarily working with a couple of things. One is Cummings to ensure that the District interests are met. And secondly, also with the funding side of the house, to pursue additional bond funds, to matching grants from the State and agencies. There are some small agencies in the State. For example, in my prior District, we not only had State matching funds, but we also had some Counties or Cities pitch in some of the funds to expiate or enhance on the project. Some of the projects we did was along with the County agencies of Parks and Recreation to build joint use fields and properties that were both beneficial to the School District. That's the intent of this particular Bond Director of the project. That's the intent for these 2 different bond positions.

Leticia: The Bond Director would not be paid out of Bond funds then?

Manoj: No, they will be paid out of general fund, just for the duration of the Bond. The other thing is, I want to kind of spread the net a little wide, at this point in time, because as we have seen as you go around the cities. Everyone is hiring. There is not many people that we can hire so I want to cast a net a little bit wider so if a person in Facilities does not have the Bond experience but has real Facilities experience, we can hire the Facilities person for Maintenance. And then we can put them on the Bond side. I had a discussion with Superintendent, the goal is to have 2 positions filled. But if we do not have qualified candidates, we'll just fill one position and that person will work for both Maintenance as well as bond projects.

Reina: Question.

Leticia: Yes, Ms. Schmitz. So you just mentioned that of the potential of this Director whose going to oversee the funds of the Bond is going to be

	<p>paid by the District. The past 5 years, when you do the search, while you do the search, has anyone been paid for any salary, has paid for past directors, or anyone from the funds of the Bond.</p> <p>Manoj: I'm not sure about the Bond Director, whether the person was paid for by the Bond funds. Earl is confirming that they are not paid from the Bond fund.</p> <p>Reina: Thank you.</p> <p>Philip: I had a question as well. This is more definitional. I know we have been talking about the bond projects. In attending the special board meeting, one thing that came very clear was that this project is not going to be \$140 million. It's going to be more than that. Is the bond project, as you're defining it, as the District is defining it, the entire project including the supplemental funding that you end up having to get?</p> <p>Manoj: So this person as I kind of said, I mentioned bond projects, but they'll also handle special projects. For example, we have solar, we have significant HVAC. Those are kind of isolated projects. We need a very special skill to manage the new projects versus the skills just for repairs and maintenance. Because repairs and maintenance, as Joel has kind of been working on both the sides, it's a little different because repairs and maintenance means like we have older properties. We have fire alarm systems. We have other systems, HVAC systems that need significant upkeep at this point in time. As we are realizing, roofing. So if a person is kind of stretched both between the repairs and maintenance and the bond projects, my experience is typically we don't do justice with those kind of splitting the time. So if I can have a person who is dedicated to special projects, not only bond, but also Solar, or if we at some point in time want to electrify our busses, our transportation routes. That's significant because we have to install chargers. Those kind of projects as they come along, this person will be handling. So I just don't want to define this person just for the bond, but those kind of special projects.</p> <p>Philip: Great. Thank you. I just want to make sure as we move forward that we're always talking about apples to apples. Given that the total cost of the project is definitely going to go over the bond issue, that at some point a line is drawn saying, okay CBOC you can only touch the stuff or talk about this stuff because it has to do with the bond issuance versus the supplemental overage. I just want to make sure that if that does change, we are advised of that.</p> <p>Manoj: Yes.</p> <p>Philip: Thank you.</p> <p>Leticia: Thank you. Let's move on to the next agenda item.</p>
Item No. 8	<p><u>CBOC RECRUITMENT</u></p> <p>Leticia: This was brought up earlier by Mr. Kraft. We can go on and discuss.</p>

Philip: I'd like to see if we have consensus here today of the members of CBOC to make a request to the Board to make a request to waiver of the term limits. Can we see if we can reach that consensus here today?

Leticia: I do support that. I do think it's great that we do have that availability to ask the Board for a waiver. So absolutely.

Louis: I second that too.

Philip: That's 3, 4, 5, 6.

Leticia: Those on zoom?

Gabriela: I agree.

Adria: I agree.

Leticia: Thank you. So, yes there is consensus, so if we can provide direction for that waiver for the Board.

Manoj: So we will move that waiver to the board agenda for January or February.

Philip: Thank you very much.

Leticia: Thank you. To clarify earlier what Mr. Becker had said, is there also a waiver to drop down below the 7 members?

Reina: As far as I understand is to extend it, the time for us to be able to choose to continue to have the consistency that we have and pass on to the next generation of Board members. Am I right?

Philip: I'll be frank, as far as, my thoughts on this. I'd like to, personally, do one at a time, and I'm only one person, I do not want to go to the Board of Education and say, "we want to waiver on term limits, but we also want to waiver on the 7 at the same time. I'd like to keep, personally, I'd like to keep it at 7 if we can. If we have to go down that road, if it looks in May that we're definitely going to lose 5 members of the CBOC, maybe we can address it at that time. That's my personal thought.

Leticia: Okay. So we'll address that separately. But there was a waiver? I wanted to know. Did he say that there was a waiver, Mr. Kraft as we understood it for some members?

Earl: I can chime in on that. Obviously I am not Arto Becker. But what I recall him saying, he said that is something that we should look into that it might be there as well, but he doesn't recall one ever being found in the study that he did. Definitely for the terms. Didn't come across anything for the member limits but he would imagine that there would be something along the lines as well. However, he also did say that the need for the, I'm paraphrasing here, the need for the committee still exists whether or not

you have 7 members or not. It doesn't do anyone any good to say if you don't have 7 members you're just going to fold up shop. That's not going to happen.

Philip: I think it of more in terms of incentive as well. If we get the California Board of Education to say, "nah, you're okay with 4" and the Board may not have the incentive to work and make sure there is 7. So I'd like to personally keep the 7 members because although we recruit, the Board is the one that does the interviewing. The Board is the one, the Body that appoints the members. And if the Board's not motivated, then they may not do it.

Earl: He kind of touched on that as well, as far as the idea of good faith. As long as the good faith effort is there to do it and its being demonstrated. It's a lot different, like you said, if there is no incentive, then they'll decide just not to do it at all and that is a completely different story. So I would agree with you.

Olivia: It's my understanding from the conference that Philip and I attended, that it's the State Board of Education who says you have to have 7 members. But we can change our bylaws at anytime. The California Board of CBOC, CABOC, that gave the seminar is putting together a memorandum of understanding. They are trying to get this changed. If you get a chance to take a look at the notes that Lelia was kind enough to photocopy for all of us. There is a lot of information on the website. And that memorandum is actually there. They are about to present it. At the moment, there is nothing that we can do to change the 7 members, other than to ask the School Board to ask the State Board for our waivers. That being said, at some point we need to bring new members on having staggered terms. That was one of my takeaways from the conference, which I felt that was very important. This is information that we had no idea was out there. But it's the State Board of Education who makes these rules. Period. Not the School District. They are our bylaws and we can change our bylaws but only if the State Board changes their mandates. Which is, from what I understand, in process.

Philip: To clarify the consensus, and please jump up and down and correct me if I am wrong. I think our consensus is to request that the Board seek a waiver of the term limits only right now.

Leticia: That is correct.

Reina: Yes.

Leticia: So, will our bylaws need to be amended to include this option for this waiver?

Olivia: No, absolutely not.

Leticia: We don't need to amend the bylaws?

Olivia: These are 2 completely subjects. Our bylaws are our bylaws. And we never should have had how many people or what the staggered terms are, according to what we learned at the conference.

Leticia: Okay.

Olivia: But that is changing at a higher level than we are at. So right now asking for the waivers will help us to finish this project with those of us who have been here for a long time and understand what we are understanding. Bringing someone new on like Philip and Gabriela, it's overwhelming, correct?

Philip: It's been a lot of reading.

Olivia: Okay. Alright.

Philip: I do think to the extent of the bylaws do need to be looked at once we have the waiver in hand, we can check with Bond Counsel to see if the bylaws need to be amended to reflect the additional term(s) as authorized by the waiver of the Board of Education. Thankfully, if we get it in January, we'll have more than enough time before we hit expiration of terms to make those changes, if Bond Counsel thinks that we need to.

Leticia: Thank you. Also, we should talk about providing direction to the Board to start recruiting new members.

Philip: You definitely have my thoughts on that. Yes, we should. I think maybe we could reach an additional consensus today to make that request to the Board to seek additional members because even if we do get term limits there, I don't know, for example, Reina, says I don't care about the term limits, I'm out. And that's her right. Which is her right. The term would be up. I think that is very good call and I would definitely be in favor of making that request to the Board to actively recruit for, I don't know how many open positions there are right now, if there are any. I think there are.

Reina: I think at some point we have 3 at large? 3 or 4?

Leticia: I think at one point, we had 11 members. So right now we have 7.

Reina: Right. We had quite a few at large.

Philip: So if they can recruit another 3 members over the next 6-9 months that would be wonderful.

Gabriela: I think I agree with I don't know who was speaking we definitely should go with the waiver to see if we can get an extension. We should definitely go for more recruitment because just to have a cycle where people come in tentatively scattered. Right now I feel like we're the majority is on end and me and Philip are on the other. If we start adding in more individuals it will kind of help with the turnover whenever that happens.

Philip: We can't leave out Adria. Adria came in with us.

	<p>Gabriela: Yes, that's true. I forget she used to be on the CBOC team.</p> <p>Adria: Yeah, I don't know where I fall. I was an original member. Then I left for a while, now I'm new. I'm so confused.</p> <p>Philip: With that in mind, could I see if we can have consensus to request the Board to recruit an additional 3 members? Up to an additional 3 members?</p> <p>Reina: Definitely.</p> <p>Leticia: Yes.</p> <p>Reina: Yes</p> <p>Louis: Yes</p> <p>Charlie: Yeah</p> <p>Leticia: If we can make that request please.</p> <p>Philip: Thank you for very much.</p> <p>Manoj: So if I can verify the requests. One, is the waiver of the existing term and the second is recruitment of 3 new additional members.</p> <p>Philip: Correct. I would say up to 3.</p> <p>Manoj: Up to 3.</p> <p>Leticia: Thank you.</p>
Item No. 9	<p><u>CABOC VIRTUAL CONFERENCE</u></p> <p>Leticia: We had 2 CBOC members who attended. I asked them to share, I asked them last minute and I apologize for that. Ms. Roberts did provide her report as handouts. There is good information here. She also did share a little bit ago about the website. That you can go onto their website to obtain additional information. Her report has been provided to us. And Mr. Kraft, do you want to share anything?</p> <p>Philip: First, Ms. Roberts, did you have anything that you wanted to spotlight that was on your notes. I don't want to step on your toes.</p> <p>Olivia: My one page report has the most important points that I learned and it was all new information, very valuable. You go to the website, there's a ton of information. One of the handouts, FAQs, those are all drop down. If you do nothing else, please go to the website and go to FAQs. They are wonderful questions and they are all answered. I am not going to take up your time tonight. I would just like to urge you to please go to these 2</p>

websites. Take a look at it. The entire conference is there should you want to spend, what Philip, 4 hours?

Philip: It was about 4 hours.

Olivia: The entire conference is on their website.

Leticia: Thank you.

Olivia: It was timed very well spent.

Leticia: Thank you.

Philip: One thing I wanted to mention to the rest of this committee is, as CBOC members, we have a very limited set of tasks that we need to perform, in terms of the annual reports. Our biggest job is to ask questions. The scope of those questions can and should be brought. The scope of those questions do not just have to be, you paid \$10 for this, is that a reasonable amount. It can be, what went into the choice to spend \$10? What alternatives are available? Yes, our focus is the dollars but everything affects the dollars. The design of the project does affect the dollars. What's included and not included in the project, does affect the dollars. I know, and I'm not saying that this District is doing this, but there is a general feeling with the Oversight Committee community if you will, that we are seen as thorns in the side of the Local Agencies. Because of that a lot of agencies try to restrict information. I don't see that happening. In my experience in my very short time that I've been on this committee, has been I've gotten all of the information that I've asked for and I haven't been told stay in your lane. But the stay in your lane mentality is what ends up, the results is things that don't get looked at. The Board can't, they don't have time to look at things in detail, like we can look at things. So we can ask those things. We should ask those questions, even if you're not spending \$10. I just wanted to emphasize that. The CABOC did say, ask the questions and if don't get the answers you have the right to request the District pay for separate Counsel to advocate on your behalf at the District's expense. We're not there, as far as I am concerned. Nor are we anywhere close to be there based on high level of communication that we are getting from District staff. We should never be afraid to ask the questions. I only wonder if this project was always going to be \$225 million. Maybe it was always going to be there. It was how that was communicated and it how it felt like it was just dropped on the public at the last minute. I wasn't here to know whether if there were questions asked. I know Reina had talked about asking for things over and over again and not really getting it. But we have the right to ask those questions and to push for answers to those questions. And if they're not answered we have the remedy. We have the request to have Counsel advocate on our behalf who owes a fiduciary duty to us as a committee versus the District and the Bond Counsel that has very graciously comes here and spends his time with us. I just wanted to emphasize that.

Olivia: Thank you very much for extending the invitation to us. Letting us know about CABOC Conference. Really appreciate it. Thank you very much.

	<p>Leticia: Thank you for sharing the information and attending the conference.</p> <p>Reina: I understand there is, and please don't feel like because you are a new member we're on different sides, not at all. Frustrations. Questions. Doubts. I had them from the very beginning. I am very grateful to the staff of the District. Yes, they have been very transparent. Very helpful. And I really appreciate all of the support that you guys have given us. Any questions that we had, unless I was pleased, I continued asking. I appreciate that. Continue in doing the same thing. Thank you.</p>
Item No. 10	<p><u>IDENTIFY POINTS OF DISCUSSION FOR UPCOMING MEETING</u></p> <p>Leticia: Does anyone have any items for the next upcoming meeting?</p> <p>Philip: I wonder if we could have a running report on current Board direction to the extent that it changes at all. Because we could miss something. I guess instead of saying Board direction, change in Board direction because we are going to be constantly be moving and constantly changing.</p> <p>Leticia: So standing item?</p> <p>Philip: I would love it to be a standing item.</p> <p>Leticia: Okay, let's do that. Any other items. I'd like to add the CBOC recruitment, the progress to see where they are at with that.</p> <p>Manoj: So one more addition Ms. Covarrubias that we got from Mr. Noborio. He will not be attending the CBOC meetings anymore, effectively submitting his resignation from CBOC for personal reasons.</p> <p>Philip: That was Neal Noborio? So we are officially down to 8.</p> <p>Manoj: Right. At this point in time. We are going to have the default recruitment, but also board direction and request for CBOC to hire additional up to 3 members.</p> <p>Olivia: One of the points that I made on my one page handout, is that if there is a specific category of membership that is missing, should someone want to they can stop spending of the bond project. So it's really important that we do this recruitment.</p> <p>Philip: I remember that. As it was described, it's one of those questions that hasn't been tested, but it certainly can become a real problem. It's not something that we should ignore. Making sure that we have the proper number of people on here because what it could potentially do is expose the District to citizen suits that aligns everything because we did not have proper oversight.</p> <p>Leticia: Olivia, I'm glad that you brought that up. What is Neal's position that he represented? Parent and school site? I think Mr. Kraft, you may fill</p>

	<p>Neal's position. Right now you're a member at large. So, you're a parent and involved in a school site council?</p> <p>Philip: Correct.</p> <p>Leticia: The next agenda item would re-assign Mr. Kraft. So, we'll add that.</p> <p>Manoj: Ms. Adria has her hands up.</p> <p>Adria: Ooh sorry, you guys answered my question. It was, can we be re-assigned?</p> <p>Leticia: Thank you. We will add that to the agenda.</p> <p>Philip: Could we also get an update on our request to the Board because by our next meeting that should have already been done. Hopefully agendized and voted on by the Board.</p> <p>Manoj: Yeah. We have 2 board meetings in January. Depending on the agenda, I'll try and take it on the first, but definitely by the 2nd board meeting. So you'll have a response by that time.</p> <p>Adria: Can staff let us know when that is agendized please?</p> <p>Manoj: Yes.</p>
Item No. 11	<p><u>NEXT SCHEDULED MEETING</u></p> <p>2/2/22 6:30 pm Wednesday</p> <p>Philip: That raises a point. Did we decide at the last meeting that we were going to meet every other month as to opposed to quarterly?</p> <p>Reina: We made a recommendation I believe for the sake of the new members.</p> <p>Philip: I just want to, because this is early February. Are we going to be doing even months moving forward? I'd love if we are.</p> <p>Leticia: I don't recall we made a decision but if that's okay then if there is consensus every even months, then it would February, then April?</p> <p>Philip: I personally would love that. Then it falls in line with the October required meeting that we have to have. Because I think this year we had September and then October because we were doing a quarterly thing. And then we had our mandated October meeting.</p> <p>Leticia: I'm fine with that.</p>

	<p>Philip: So, technically we would only be adding one meeting because we were doing quarterly, plus October, for a total of 5. Now we'll just be doing 6 on the even months.</p> <p>Leticia: Other members?</p> <p>Gabriela: I agree.</p> <p>Leticia: Thank you. Ms. Schmitz?</p> <p>Reina: Agreed.</p> <p>All: I agree.</p> <p>Leticia: Okay. Next meetings is February. After it will be April. And then June. It will be every even month.</p> <p>Philip: Are we going to continue on zoom as long as we can?</p> <p>Manoj: Right now, we have to under the exemptions. Until that emergency is lifted, we'll continue on the hybrid model.</p> <p>Philip: Fantastic. Thank you.</p>
Item No. 12	<p><u>ADJOURN</u></p> <p>Moved by Charlie Klinakis and seconded by Philip Kraft for Adjournment at 8:12 pm.</p> <p>8 yes 0 No 0 Abstain</p>