Brockton Public Schools
School Committee Policy
CO-CURRICULAR AND EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES - JJ
The School Committee believes that student activities are a vital part of the total educational program and should be used as a means for developing wholesome attitudes and good human relations and knowledge and skills. Therefore, the schools will provide a broad and balanced program of activities geared to the various ages, interests, and needs of students, regardless of race, color, sex, gender identity, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or homeless status. This provision includes any other protected student category as defined by law.
The following will serve as guides in the organization of student activities:
- The schools will observe a complementary relationship to the home and community, planning activities with due regard for the widespread and rich facilities already available to students.
- The assistance of parents in planning activity programs will be encouraged.
- The goal for each student will be a balanced program of appropriate academic studies and activities to be determined by the school, the parents, and the student. This should be a shared responsibility.
- Guidance will be offered to encourage participation of all students in appropriate activities and to prevent over-emphasis on extracurricular activities at the cost of academic performance. The opportunity to receive guidance and counseling in a student's primary language should be made available to students from home where English is not the primary language spoken.
- All activities will be supervised; all clubs and groups will have a faculty advisor.